Scoliosis, a condition you don’t often hear about is the reason behind your child’s doctor is checking their back.
Scoliosis and What You Need to Know
• Scoliosis is a spinal deformity, a sideways curvature that can occur in both males and females. The curve may be an S curve or a C curve.
• This curvature may be mild, but in severe cases can be disabling and can reduce the amount of space in the chest, making it difficult to breathe.
• It typically begins to appear between ages 10 and 15, during the growth spurt just before puberty. However, it can appear in people younger and older.
• In most cases, there is no known cause.
• Some schools perform tests, but many do not, which is why your doctor should examine your child’s back during regular visits.
• What to watch for: uneven shoulders, one shoulder blade that appears more prominent than the other, an uneven waist, or one hip higher than the other.
• Treatments include braces or surgery typically however Dr Kevin Lau offers non-surgical solutions to treat scoliosis. These all depend on the severity and type of scoliosis. Treatments are more effective the sooner they begin.
If you believe your child may have this curvature, contact us right away for a checkup with Dr. Kevin Lau.